Monday, September 28, 2015

Dylusions paints...coordinating colours


Whenever I do a background with my paints, no matter what technique I am doing, I always use three coordinating colours.
If you always use coordinating colours then you will always get a good result, even if you make a mess of it.
Unfortunately not everyone knows what colours coordinate together, so here's a little step out to help you all.


Lemon Zest, Fresh Lime, Cut Grass


Fresh Lime, Cut Grass, Vibrant Turquoise


Fresh Lime, Cut Grass, London Blue


Cut Grass, Vibrant Turquoise, London Blue.


Vibrant Turquoise, London Blue, Crushed Grape.


Bubblegum Pink, Crushed Grape, Vibrant Turquoise.


Bubblegum Pink, Postbox Red, Crushed Grape.


Squeezed Orange, Postbox Red, Bubblegum Pink


Squeezed Orange, Postbox Red, Melted Chocolate.


Lemon Zest, Squeezed Orange, Melted Chocolate.


Lemon Zest, Squeezed Orange, Postbox Red

I also get asked all the time which colours are the no no colours, meaning the ones when mixed together make brown.
These are opposites on the colour wheel and I would never use them together wet.
But if you let them dry they are fabulous for complementing each other and making them pop.
So wet is a no no, dry is a yes yes...


The opposite of Crushed Grape is Lemon Zest and Fresh Lime, and vice versa.


The opposite of Squeezed Orange is London Blue and Vibrant Turquoise and vice versa.


The opposite of Postbox Red is Cut Grass and Fresh Lime and vice versa.

I hope that helped, happy painting.

Enjoy xx

25 comments:

Stefani said...

Thank you so much ... I love you for sharing this!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you sooo much! I seem to have a problem with color coordination, even with a color wheel handy. Thank you for this it will help tremendously!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the very colorful spreadsheet!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. This was really helpful to me.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this! Loved your class in Moline on Saturday. What white pen did you say you use on your paint?

Melfina said...

Thank you for this great colour combination tutorial! I've just started an art journal page with Bubblegum Pink and Crushed Grape and was wondering with which colour to make some details. Now I know and is one of my favourite colours! Thank you!

Tammy Norman said...

Love love love your colours. I spend hours and hours playing. :) Any chance you will release the next 12 colours in the paint soon?

DeBe said...

Brilliant, thank-you, this is such a useful reference guide. Denyse x

Dana Driscoll said...

Thanks dyan! I will try these colors and have a cuppa Yorkshire Gold!

Gemma Hynes said...

Loving the pictures to aid the very educational post today, thank you x

Unknown said...

Thanx so much! This is valuable information! I am in love with these paints & I am also an ink spray addict!!! LOL. Happy Day! Khara

Angrina said...

Thanks Dyan. Now I can enjoy your fab paints even more! Whithout being scared of making is muddy brown pool ;-)

Unknown said...

Great information, Dyan! The key to avoiding a lot of the mess is to dry first. I know that, I just forget!! Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

Awesome help, thanks Dyan :)

Hilma said...

Thank you so much for this useful information. Now I finally know how to coordinate your dylusion paints! Awesome post!!!...h.

Caroline D. said...

This made me smile! Hope you're fairing well.

Scrapper's Playground said...

Absolutely brillant!

AngieHallHaviland said...

Thanks so much, Dyan. In a busy world stealing every second of ART time I can....very helpful!!

Unknown said...

Hi Dyan Thankyou for this "lesson" i have all your paints but somehow never get to play with the chocolate brown colour, today is the day to start!!!
Best Wishes to you all at AFTH X

Unknown said...

Thanks Dyan! Is there a colour chart for your paints I can fill in myself?

Christy Anne said...

Can we get an update on color combinations with the 6 new colors included please :)

Angels6 said...

this is perfect - thanks for the help and of course your talent

firewoman55 said...

You are the best!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I just ordered several of your paints and this will help me a great deal when I start in my new Dylusions journal!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this invaluable info. Your paints are so beautiful I wouldn’t want to waste them so this info is just perfect

Quote of the Century


"You are an extraordinary woman.


How can you expect anything ordinary to happen to you"


Louisa May Alcott